Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Holding Hands

     I finally get to use this as an actual blog instead of a place to showcase my portfolio because I have a real website! Very exciting, but a bit daunting that I'll have something else to keep up. It will be great to have a place to share some on the ideas that are swimming around in my head though.

     My latest project was inspired by a dear friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer right around Christmas time. When she confided the doctor's findings to me it was over the phone because she doe not live close to me. It literally took my breath away. I felt so powerless. I wanted to be there and hug her. To reach out and put my arm around her and let her know that my heart was with her. Over the weeks we've been in touch through email, Facebook, and phone. At one point she said she just needed to hold hands. Fortunately she has family and friends nearby physically, but I've begun to photograph people holding hands in support of her. Here are a couple from this weekend.



     I think this project will have a universal interest because we've all been through so much over the last few years. Though it was one friend that voiced this desire, I can think of a few others who's hands I would also hold in solidarity for the future. I have gone through a rough patch very recently, and would not have made it without the support and encouragement I found in the most unlikely places. 


No comments:

Post a Comment